Award Negotiations & Acceptance
The sponsoring agency will send a notification award letter to the University, either directly to the PI or to SPFAC. The award documents (e.g. grant, contract) with other pertinent documentation may accompany the award notification or be sent over at a later time. The PI should forward all notifications and documents to SPFAC. SPFAC cannot initiate the award setup without formal sponsor notification.
Prior to accepting the award on behalf of the University, the Post Award Specialist reviews the award to determine if it is consistent with the proposal. An award must be negotiated when there are terms and conditions that are not considered to be in the best interest of the University of the PI. The Post-Award Specialist is the negotiator for this process, with assistance from the PI, Director of SPFAC, VP for Research, Operational Review, and/or other administrative units. The Specialist will provide periodic updates to the PI as the negotiation progresses.
After negotiations, SPFAC will email the agreement and an Award Data Sheet (ADS) to the PI for review. The PI will sign and return the ADS to the Post-Award Specialist, who will then route the agreement for internal approval and University signature. The Provost is the official institutional representative authorized to sign on behalf of the institution. SPFAC will return signed copies to the sponsor, indicating acceptance of the award.
Required Components to Accept an Award:
- Approved proposal (SPFAC will request from ORSP)
- Signed Award Data Sheet (ADS)
- Approved Sponsor Budget
- Proof of IRB/IACUC approval, if applicable
Award Data Sheet (ADS)
The Award Data Sheet serves as the internal routing form and highlights the following for each award:
- Terms and conditions of the award and other sponsor-specific requirements
- General information about grant management
- Reporting requirements, including sponsor-required technical reports
- Any additional project specific information
The ADS and award document will be routed to the following individuals for review:
- Principal Investigator
- Director of SPFAC
- Director of Operational Review
- VP for Research, Innovation, and Economic Development
- VP for Administration and Finance
- Provost and VP for Academic Affairs (signs award documents)