Latest Update: January 3, 2019
Due to a lapse in appropriations, a partial government shutdown is in place. Not all agencies are affected.
The Office of Sponsored Programs Finance Administration and Compliance (SPFAC) is closely monitoring the budget situation in Washington, D.C. and is working diligently to determine the most appropriate actions, if needed. Impacts to application submission, award processing, no-cost extensions, and other tasks that require federal sponsor interaction are being assessed frequently. Our commitment to help campus navigate sponsored programs administration is unchanged. We will continue to provide guidance as clearly and timely as possible.
Should you receive any shutdown-related correspondence from the sponsor (e.g., stop work order), please immediately forward the information to SPFAC.
The White House: Office of Management and Budget (OMB) has published agency contingency plans along with FAQs and Special Instructions for Agencies Affected. Congress has also provided convenient access to appropriations and budget resolutions for Fiscal Year 2019.
What to expect during a Federal Shutdown:
- Most federal agency operations will cease during the Federal shutdown.
- Federal awards from affected agencies will not be issued.
- A lack of federal communications related to any awards should be expected.
- Federal agencies may temporarily stop making payments.
- Cooperative agreements could be affected if federal participation is required, but not available.
- Federal awards that have been issued a Banner fund number can begin or continue work unless notification was received from the sponsor.
- Once federal systems are back online, SPFAC will resume processing Federal award acceptance, modification or no cost extension requests.
SPFAC will continue with business as usual within any constraints created by unavailable sponsor systems and staff. SPFAC’s goal is to process items received to the extent possible.
You can contact SPFAC staff directly or at email@example.com with any questions on your awarded projects, and ORSP staff directly or at firstname.lastname@example.org for any projects that are still in the proposal stage.